RE: Events to E-mail

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Events to E-mail
From: "O'Neill, Dermott" <ONeillD@aetna.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:23:34 -0500
Hey Cliff,

I use Netview to catch over 500 NT Events & generate email to service
folders.  Those service folders are run thru  a shell script each month to
sort & correlate the events based on source, date & event id.  I get about
18,000 emails/month from our 1000+ servers.

I used  xnmtrap to format the event OID's.  This creates the trapd.conf file
which has entries such as:
echo "NT Backup Exec Failure {Event ID 57739}: $1, $3" | mail -s "W2 Backup
Exec Failure {Event ID 57739}: $A: \t \t $(date "+%Y/%m/%d %H.%M.%S")"
ntserver

$1 & $3 are "variable bindings" coming in the trap from the Backup Exec
application.
$A is the source (ip address) of the box that sent the trap.
ntserver is the service mailbox for holding the email messages.

For help:
Help Button in the xnmtrap application (ch. 98 in the "TME10 NetView Online
Help Text"),
man trapd.conf
both have a lot of info.

Good Luck,