problems and questions with NV6.0.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: problems and questions with NV6.0.1
From: "Stefan.Beck" <STEFAN.BECK@Allianz.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:41:42 +0100
Hello NetViewers,

we are evaluating NV6.0.1 at a customer site on AIX4.3.3 on a SP2. We are using
the new libnvsnmp.a .

We have the following problems:
1) netmon won't discover addresses from the seedfile that are marked with a '$'
for snmp-status-polling.
Everything works perfectly, if we start without the '$'. Inserting the '$'
__after__ netmon has discovered the node,
netmon does status monitoring via snmp (works great).

2) netmon won't discover loopback interfaces with an ip address starting with
127.x.x.x (but not equal 127.0.0.1).
According to the release notes from V6.0.1 (page 10) I thought that netmon
should discover those interfaces.
(Yes, I know you can't ping them (no route) and most likely there's no use in
having an icon for that interfaces in the map,
but netmon does not work that way that is described in the manual)

3) When we start the GUI, we get error messages from the maptreeserver:
Starting maptreeserver
signal Handler set
OvwEventDispatcher::EnableJavaCallbacks: socket()(error:12)
OvwEventDispatcher::EnableJavaCallbacks: bind():12
Parsing configuration file /usr/OV/conf/C/explore.confOvwInterface::Connect: con
nect() (error: 22)
OvwEventDispatcher::EnableJavaCallbacks:  accept() : 22
Server is ready to accept connections on port 62535

I haven't investigated in that issue any further since the Java-GUI seems to
work fine.
Is anybody  receiving the same messages (in the nv6000.log)

4) We have had a problem with the location.conf:
We started discovery from the scratch with a seedfile and a location.conf.
Everything worked fine (no error messages in the location.log) and every
network was placed in
apropriate location. After a few days we recognized (via an ovtopofix) that
several interfaces were not
showing up in the map. We saw (in the nett.log0x) that ovw couldn't draw the
segments and networks for the missing
interface icons and at that moment there were error messages in the
location.log that some locations already exist.
After removing the location.conf, __all__ missing icons showed up.

Has anybody had the same problem?

5) Question: If a node is marked with a '$' for snmp status polling in the
seedfile and the observation for that node is delegated
to an MLM, what will happen?

Any help and suggestions are welcome.