Re: More Location.conf woes

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: More Location.conf woes
From: CHANCELLOR.D.ELLIS@customs.treas.gov
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:33:02 -0500
     I have worked through this and I think I figured out what was wrong.

     I had my location.conf file created by our DNS group becuase they
     tracked the IP addresses that are used at each location. They created
     this file in Notepad on a Windows NT PC. I then cleaned it up a
     little, again on a PC. Then, I copied the file to our AIX box via ftp.
     when looking at it with VI, everything looked great, but all locations
     were still not being created.

     I wanted my locations to be created in alphabetical order, so I
     decided to alphabetize the location.conf file. To do this, I edited
     the location.conf in Microsoft Excel and sorted by location name. I
     then saved it as a text file and copied it back to the AIX box. When I
     opened it in VI, I saw a bunch of special charaters that Excel put in
     the file. That made me think could there be special characters that
     Notepad put in the file, that VI couldn't display, that were hosing up
     my object creation.

     So, I have a Windows based UNIX file editor that I pulled the
     alphabetized location.conf into. I saved the file in UNIX format and
     then copied it back to the AIX box. Everything works fine now!

     Just wanted to give an update in case someone else comes across a
     similar problem,