Webclient search function etc.?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Webclient search function etc.?
From: "Koshofer, Till, MTC-SEx" <till.koshofer@it-mannesmann.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:02:26 +0100
Dear Netviewmaniacs,

I am testing NetView´s webclient at a customer´s site.
(NetView 6.0.1  on AIX 4.3.2; Framework 3.6.3)
The Customer wants to use the webclient as the main troubleshouting tool for
his first line operating staff.
I now have several problems with it. Maybe on of you guys had the same
problems and maybe even found a workaround.

1.) Firewall issue: I found that the comunication between maptreeserver and
webclient is a random Port. After I found a solution for binding the port in
one direction (using -DportToUse) the maptreeserver still tries to use
another random port to open the map. Which is dropped in the firewall of
course.
So I cannot use the submapexplorer on the webclient unless I can talk the
firewall guys into allowing "any" ports from NV-Server to the webclient (ie.
NT-Machine in another LAN). Never/No chance!!!

... and even more anoying...

2.) Locate Object: Can someone explain to me, how anyone should be working
with the Submapexplorer in the webclient, unless you can locate an Object in
the map (i.e Router or Router by Interface)? I guess there are more people
out there that have several submaps and not all object in the IP-Internet
map. This feature is propably one of the most used in the EUI. Is there an
java class in the webclient´s jar files I can build into the warf-files
etc.?  Help?!

...and last but not least....

3.) Ping Interfaces: Once I found the router (see 2.) I want to ping one or
several Interfaces, like in the EUI. The only ways to do this seems to be
the quicktest and the diagnostics/ping functionality. Is that a bug or a
feature?!

Allright, enough for now. Thanks in advance for any help on these issues.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen/With kind regards,
Till Koshofer
externer Mitarbeiter Mannesmann TeleCommerce GmbH
MTC-SI
mailto: till.koshofer@it-mannesmann.de