Head's up! pax broken at AIX 4.3.3 ML6

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Head's up! pax broken at AIX 4.3.3 ML6
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:07:33 -0500
Bad news for those of us who religiously back up large databases.  We use
the
pax command for restoring because netview uses the sparse filesystem and
using tar to restore it takes miles of disk space. Anyway, new AIX systems
are
shipping at ML5 or ML6, which contains box.rte.archive 4.3.3.25. It is
broken at
25 and at 26, I I hear. I also hear that 4.3.3.12 works. I  guess will be
trying to downgrade
one tomorrow with the assistance of AIX Support.

The error you get is:
# pax -rp e -f junk.tar
MSGSTR PAX_BADOPCONFU The -p and -o options conflict for uid/uname

If you are upgrading, be sure to address this before you plan to need to
restore!