/etc/networks & location.conf

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: /etc/networks & location.conf
From: Donald Davis <don-n-darla@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:29:49 -0500
Here is a little advise to avoid some really
BIZARRE behavior of NetView:

Be aware that if you use both of these:
1.  /etc/networks   (name your networks)
2. /usr/OV/conf/location.conf  (create and name
Location containers)
Be certain NOT to have your networks and your
location containers named the same.

The symptoms are:
You will find both a network (IP Triangle) with
the appropriate name from /etc/networks AND an
ethernet segment symbol in the same location
container (with the appropriate name from
location.conf) at the IP Internet level. The
Network symbol cannot be opened. The segment
symbol behaves normally, except that it is at the
wrong hierarchical level.

This is a sample of my /etc/networks file:
ABC    157.65.128

This is a sample of my /usr/OV/conf/location.conf:

ABC_CORE    0    Site
ABC    157.65.128    Site2    ABC_CORE

I now understand why it did it. (Same Selection
Name: ABC)
To bad there was nothing written to any of the
logs.

The fix was to change the
/usr/OV/conf/location.conf to:
ABC_NETWORK    157.65.128    Site2    ABC_CORE

Best Regards,
Don Davis  - Tivoli Certified Consultant /
Instructor
Alliance of Professionals and Consultants, Inc.
Phone: 919-510-9696
Visit our Web site at: http://www.apc-services.com