Re: Discovering Far Side of WAN Link

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Discovering Far Side of WAN Link
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 01:00:02 -0500
Things impatient people do while they are waiting for nodes to appear:

1) Look for bits of the new node:
    ovobjprint -s Interface:10.183.130.26
What you might see is an object with only the Selection Name and
the the IP Hostname fields. I think that's what they call a Hint. It
usually
means that netmon knows about it and will finish discovering it when
it gets around to it.

2) Poke netmon to see what it is up to:

pingstatus.sh:
#!/bin/ksh
#set -x
rm /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace
netmon -a 12
sleep 3
if [ -f /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace ]; then
  echo "Netmon is " `grep [-].*[:] /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace | \
        wc -l ` "behind in status pinging";
else
  echo "Netmon is too busy to report now. Try later."
fi
exit

snmpstatus.sh:
#!/bin/ksh
#set -x
rm /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace
netmon -a 16
sleep 3
if [ -f /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace ]; then
  echo "Netmon is " `grep [-].*[:] /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace | \
       wc -l ` "behind in snmp polling"
else
  echo "Netmon is too busy to report now. Try later."
fi
exit

3) Look over his shoulder:
         netmon -M -1
         tail -f /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace
 If it does not show anything, it is too busy to turn on tracing.
 You got in too late.

4)  Really desperate - get right in there and watch netmon from the
startup:
      Use smit to turn on tracing at startup, and tail netmon.trace
      You would be surprised how much it has to to at startup, and how
      big an effect name resolution has on that work. If it is not flashing
      by too fast to read, you have a problem there.

5) When was the last time you did an ovtopofix? Maybe that will help. It
     usually does it for me.

Also, keep in mind that a WAN link is two routers. Maybe they are already
there by other names. Locate...Object..by Attribute (IP Address).

Detroit

"Stamper, Steve" <Steve_Stamper@foremost.com>@tkg.com on 02/12/2001
04:06:55 PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com