Netmon Daemon - nmcheckconf Warning -

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Netmon Daemon - nmcheckconf Warning -
From: Donald Davis <don-n-darla@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 01:05:57 -0500
> When I see the   /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace ,  it shows the next message :
>
> /usr/OV/bin/nmcheckconf: ERROR: LAN interface "Name" not UP and RUNNING.
> **** Warnings from /usr/OV/bin/nmcheckconf configuration check script
>
> Does anybody know what is the meaning of this message and how can I fix it  ?

Sorry about all of the HTML tags, here is my
solution again....

I have found that this is caused by an error in
the /usr/OV/bin/nmcheckconf script file.
If you execute netstat -i | cut -d  -f1 you will
see that the output is presented as a table
with column headings, the first one is "Name".
The comments indicate that if "Name" is found it
will be ignored, trouble is that they forgot to
code it.
Add the following line to the "if clause" as
indicated below:
       \( "${interface}" = "Name" \) -o \
Here is the fixed "if clause" (with comments).
#
# CHECK LAN INTERFACE CARD
#

interfaceError=FALSE
interfaceCount=0

for interface in `netstat -i | cut -d' ' -f1` ; do

   # If ifconfig  does not  complain  about the
interface  you hand it,
   # e.g., it does not complain that you gave it
the 'Name' column label
   # from  netstat  output or 'ni0*'  (used for
serial link IP) on HP-UX
   # then

   if ifconfig ${interface} 1> /dev/null 2>&1 ;
then
      # Do NOT look at the loop back interface.
      # A subnet mask of "ff000000" is valid for
loopback interface.
      # DWD : 11JAN01 : Ignore "Name" Label
      if [ \( "${interface}" = "lo0" \) -o \
           \( "${interface}" = "Name" \) -o \
            \( "${interface}" = "sna0" \) ] ; then

         continue
      fi

Don Davis  - Tivoli Certified Consultant /
Instructor
Alliance of Professionals and Consultants, Inc.
Phone: 919-510-9696
Visit our Web site at: http://www.apc-services.com