Re: Alerts !

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Alerts !
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:45:37 -0500
You probably need to call Support and get some help.

trapd disconnects any application which cannot keep up with the processing
load.  Once the internal queue for an application which has registered to
receive traps is full, trapd disconnects that application to protect
himself.   So he is disconnecting snmpCollect because snmpCollect's trap
queue is full.  There are only three possibilities and you will have to
investigate what is up.  Either (1) snmpCollect is hung and unable to
process traps, or (2) there has been a trap storm and trapd has received so
many traps in a short time that he cannot process them all in real time, so
he queued them, and now that the storm is over, he is processing them
lickety-split, but it is snmpCollect who cannot keep up with this workload
now, or (3) the application queue buffer size is too small for your
network.
You can raise the latter by configuring trapd.  The default size is 2000,
and you can safely raise this by a factor of ten if you have the memory for
it, but if the real problem is actual (1) or (2) this will only mask it for
a while and postpone the inevitable disconnect.   That is why you should
consider talking to Support.
If snmpCollect is the only daemon so affected then situation (2) is
unlikely.  A version of situation (1) is that snmpCollect could be so busy
because of the schedule you have him collecting data on that he does not
have the time to process traps.   You could then increase his queue size
and see if that helps.  If not, I'd call Support.

PS:  The next time you post here, please tell us what level of NetView and
what operating system you are using.  It helps all of us understand your
problems better.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT