Production Server Events

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Production Server Events
From: lesdickert@nsimail.com
Date: 20 Feb 2001 14:07:29 -0800
Running NetView 6.0.1 under AIX 4.3.3.

Need some advice please.

We are monitoring a network that includes
about 150 NT servers.  Of these, about 125
or so are production servers, the rest are
in various stages of testing, integration,
or nonproduction use, but are connected to
the production network.  Of course they all
look the same to NetView.

Most of these servers have at least two active
monitoring agents on them, and they generate
a fair number of agent initiated events to NetView.
I want to set up an event workspace that shows
only events from the production servers and not
from the others.

I started to set up a SmartSet for the production
servers with nvUtil using a rule that had

  Selection Name = server

for each server, but nvUtil complained that the rule
was too long, so I broke up the servers into about
6 groups and got the SmartSets built, and then made
a Ruleset to include only events from those SmartSets.

This works fine, but I am wondering if I should create
a field in the database (say, isProduction), populate
and maintain it with nvdbimport, and create a Ruleset that
checks that field rather than the SmartSets.  I might
even could create different fields for different types
of servers (eg FileServers, PrintServers, IISs, SQL Servers,
etc).

I would imagine that lots of people have addressed this
situation and I would appreciate any advice on how you
dealt with it.

Thanks,

Les

Get personalized e-mail and a web address or your
own free e-mail at http://www.networksolutions.com.