RE: Override status

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Override status
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:26:19 -0800
Stephen,
There might actually be a solution for you, and it would basically be
supported (from a NetView point-of-view).  In fact, I'm in the middle
of writing a poller myself that uses this "feature".

The key here... is to send back to your NetView system MLM status
traps.  DO NOT try and mimic netmon traps to do the job.

There is an example-program with NetView V6 called iface_status.tcl.
You can call this script out-of-the-box if you wish to accomplish
the job (on a NetView system). On NT it is in the \usr\OV\tcl directory.

On UNIX I assume its in the same place (i.e. /usr/OV/tcl).

What it does is produce mid-level manager status traps for Interface Up/Down
for any given node/address.  This allows you to offload polling (or at least
set the polling interval VERY long).

Currently, I user a perl incantation of this script (I don't know TCL) to
have
site NetView NT systems report to a central NetView NT system.

Play around with it.  It works.

Of course... there is one small problem (which is also why I use perl)...
In order for you to use this... you have to have a "send_snmp_trap" utility.
NetView has one... which is what they use in iface_status.tcl.  Perl
libraries
provide one (which is why I use perl).

You'll either have to use perl, CMU snmptrap utility, or something else (I
wouldn't
be surprised if Linux has one built-in).

Well, have fun.

Gary Boyles, Intel