Re: Preventing Control Desk from Automatically Starting

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Preventing Control Desk from Automatically Starting
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:38:46 -0500
Have your users ensure that they have no nodes selected when
they try to start events.

Detroit

"Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>@tkg.com on 03/01/2001 09:39:17 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com

To:   "NV List (E-mail)" <nv-l@tkg.com>
cc:

Hello Everyone.

I manage an RS6000 server running AIX 4.3.3. NV is version 6.0.1.

The NetView performance was suffering because of the addition of 10 more
users. Those new users have no need for the Control Desk Event Viewer. So I
stopped the Control Desk from automatically starting in order to reduce
memory and CPU utilization until more memory arrives. I followed the
instructions in the NV 6.0 Admin. Guide. I removed "-Initial" flag from
/usr/OV/registration/C/ovsnmp/nvevents "Command" line.

Occasionally - the users cannot manually start the Control Desk by
selecting
Monitor/Events/Current Events. The option is "grayed out". If they close
the
map and reopen the map they are able to access the Control Desk. I notice
that once you close the Control Desk you can no longer reopen it by
choosing
Monitor/Events/Current Events.

Can anyone explain this behavior? I scanned through dozens of pages in the
Archives and did not find a related article.

Thanks in advance.

Ray Westphal.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car.