Re: Routers Down or Node Down

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Routers Down or Node Down
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 00:15:25 -0500
In Netview, in general, when the last interface of a node goes down, there
is a Node Down event. For single-interface devices, you get them both at
once, and for Routers, you might only ever see Interface Down events, if
they don't all go down. That's the basic case.

The Router Down and Router Unreachable are new events related to the
Router Fault Isolator function in V6. That's more complicated, but you can
read about it  /usr/OV/doc/RouterFaultIsolation.htm. Basically, a router is
unreachable if it is beyond one that is down, if you get the distinction.
Same
for Network Unreachable. The Router that is Down, is, I think, a root
cause.
But read that document a couple of times.

You can also turn RFI off, as described in the 6.01 release notes, if it
does
not make sense in your environment.

If you are going to do automatic notification on these events you will have
to consider them carefully. Probably the least useful of the bunch is Node
Down.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

zuffranieri@IT.IBM.COM@tkg.com on 03/07/2001 05:23:50 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com