NetView & MLM in firewall scenario

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView & MLM in firewall scenario
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:57:12 +0000
Has anyone tried the following????  I want to use an MLM to do discovery
and status polling beyond a packet-filtering firewall.

    NetView ------>  Firewall ------> MLM -------> Managed Devices

The firewall ONLY permits UDP/162  NetView <-> MLM, and UDP/161 NetView
<-> MLM;  there is no SNMP/161 or ping allowed to the managed devices.
I also have UDP/162 (traps) from the Managed Devices to MLM and/or
NetView.

At this stage, I don't have ping to the MLM either but I can tell netmon
to poll the MLM using SNMP in the seedfile.  I have no firewall between
MLM and the managed devices so ping and SNMP traffic is fine.

If I tell netmon to use MLM for both discovery and polling, I should
have full comms to the MLM - no problem.  I hope that the MLM will then
discover the Managed Devices, pass them back to NetView, and also add
them to his MLM status polling table.  WILL THIS WORK?????  - even
though NetView himself cannot ping or demand poll the devices?  I want
the Managed Devices to appear in the NetView topology as managed by the
MLM.  I don't care if NetView thinks they don't support SNMP, so long as
the box is there and it goes red/green depending on the Node Up/Down
traps passed from the MLM.

I would much appreciate any feedback from anyone who has been down this
route.
Kind regards,
Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565