Antw: Re: NetView Discovery and ARP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Antw: Re: NetView Discovery and ARP
From: "Michael Seibold" <Michael.Seibold@gek.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:08:40 +0100
Hi Les, hi Paul,

I don't think there is so much mysterie about discovery. Maybe I'm wrong but
here is the way I think it works with most tools (without seed-File, that is
tool-specific):

o   read the arp-cache of your local machine your software is running on
     In most cases you now you have at least the IP-address of the
default-gateway discovered. If your Network is not switched you'll have more
adresses.

Loop for each new IP-address

    o    try to read the interface-table with snmp from this IP-address
          If you have snmp-access this will give you a list of connected
IP-networks you now can draw on your map

    o    try to read the ARP-table from this IP-address
          this will give you more new IP-addresses to work on

    o    try to read the routing-tables from this IP-address
          this might give you even more addresses to work on

end loop

The seedfile can help to
- set up addresses that have to be checked to speed up discovery
- prevent other addresses from beeing checked
- ... (see manual)

It is easy to see why discovery sometime fails:
- you have no snmp-access to a gateway due to incorrect communities
- you have no snmp-access to a gateway due to access-lists or firewalls
- you have devices without snmp (are there still some out there?)
- some ip-addresses are very silent and are no longer in an arp-table
  (some tools try to avoid this doing a ping to all possible IP-addresses,
   but just think of a Class A - network...)
- routing problems: you discover IP-addresses in some arp-tables but
  you are unable to reach them
- one of the most common problems is that you use name resolution
  and this may take very long if
  the addresses can't be resolved. I observed a case where the second
  or third nameserver in hierarchy didn't answer and there seemd to be a
  timeout-problem which caused netmon to wait forever,
  so there were no more status changes on the map
  (wasn't too bad, erverything stayed green forever ;-)).

Well, I hope I am not too wrong with this and didn't forget too much, but from
this model I could solve or at least find all problems regarding discovery so
far (well, there is this problem with firewalls discussed lately...).

Happy discovering

Michael Seibold
Gmünder Ersatzkasse GEK

>>> lesdickert@hotmail.com 15.03.2001  04.22 Uhr >>>
I think you're going to find that, like
all other products that do network
discovery, NetView's discovery process
is a trade secret.  Translation:  even
the developers don't understand it.

I think you can bet ARP is involved though.

Les Dickert
Verisign Consulting