RE: Nortel MIBS

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Nortel MIBS
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:14:24 -0400
If you are having a problem with mib2trap being unable to provide the OID
for the -i flag, that means that the MIB you have with the trap definitions
is incomplete.  In the very beginning in the IMPORTS section it will
identify another Nortel MIB (not an RFC) as having some construct which is
being imported for this one.  You should obtain that MIB and concatenate
the MIB you have to it, to make one big MIB file, and run mib2trap on that.
I believe this is explained in the man page on mib2trap in later releases.
The problem is that mib2trap tries to build the enterprise id from the
basic ".1.3.6.1.4.1."  or enterprises level of the MIB tree and it
therefore expects that the MIB definition the trap will define the vendor's
basic enterprise id.  If it doesn't, you have to build a MIB file which
does.
Note that because Nortel now owns many different vendors via merger and
acquisition (Bay, Wellfleet, etc), you need to make sure you get the right
enterprise id and this is the only way I know to do it.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

Pablo Andrés Villegas Florez   <pavillegas@epsa.com.co>@tkg.com on