Determining Network Address

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Determining Network Address
From: Don Davis <don_davis@att.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:13:28 -0400
Leslie,
Here you go. I have done limited testing and this seems to work just fine.

#!/usr/bin/ksh
# File : getNetwork
# Shell script to calculate the Network Address given an
# IP Address on the network and the Subnet Mask
# Created by : Don Davis  19APR01
# Note that "&" is the korn shell bitwise AND operator
# Syntax : getNet <IP Address> <Subnet Mask>
#
set -A ADDR `echo $1 | awk 'BEGIN{FS="."}{print $1, $2, $3, $4}'`
set -A MASK `echo $2 | awk 'BEGIN{FS="."}{print $1, $2, $3, $4}'`

Octet=0
while [ "$Octet" -le "3" ]
do
   let Network[$Octet]=${ADDR[$Octet]}\&${MASK[$Octet]}
   let Octet=$Octet+1
done
printf "%s.%s.%s.%s\n" ${Network[*]}

Best regards,