Re: MLM's and Firewalls

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MLM's and Firewalls
From: davids@ibk.com.au
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:09:33 +1000
Has anyone considered using IPSEC to create a security association (a la
tunnel) between the Netview server and the router at the MLM/s location?
This way all traffic between the Netview server and the MLM would be
tunnelled/encapsulated through the firewall within either protocol number
50 (Authentication Header) or 51 (Encapsulating Security Payload) depending
on choice of implementation.

This may be more acceptable to the security folk as they can control
traffic to specific IP addresses and protocol numbers. This is not
fool-proof and security of the Netview Server itself becomes important, but
may be an option.

Regards,
David Steed
IBK Pty Ltd