RE: snmp-password change in Cisco

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: snmp-password change in Cisco
From: "Gregory, Phil" <phil.gregory@gpupower.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 15:56:18 +0100
Hi Juan,
It is possible to reset the password using SNMP.

First read the config to your tftp server...
/usr/OV/snmpset -c <write community string> <router IP/name>
.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.55.ipaddress.of.tftpserver octetstring <filename on
server>

Next edit the config substituting the new, plain text, enable secret
password
Enable secret <password>

then tell the router to boot the config on your tftp server (tftp server
needs to be on the same subnet)...
/usr/OV/bin/ snmpset -c <write community string> <router IP/name>
.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.50.ip.address.of.tftpserver octetstring <filename on
server>

And the new config is running, telnet to the router and try your new
password... then copy the running config to startup...

Good Luck
Phil Gregory.
Head of Data Network Development
GPU Power UK.