snmpwalk/MIB Browser/Demand Poll Trouble.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: snmpwalk/MIB Browser/Demand Poll Trouble.
From: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 10:00:38 -0500
Hello Everyone.

NetView 6.0.2 on AIX 4.3.3.

Thanks for the help with the Event Viewer the other day. Here's one for you
SNMP gurus out there.

I have a strange situation with a firewall device and read community
strings. There are 5 of these devices on the map and only 1 device is giving
me trouble.
I can snmpwalk the device if I use the IP address of the ethernet0 adapter.
I do not have to specify the community name.  I cannot snmpwalk the device
if I use the IP address of the ethernet1 adapter. ethernet0 is on the same
network as the NetView server.

I can snmpwalk the device if I use only the hostname. I do not have to
specify the community name. I cannot snmpwalk the device if I use the fully
qualified domain name. I've tried numerous /etc/hosts changes and nothing
helps.

The Tools/MIB Browser SNMP menu options are "grayed out" and unavailable.
The SNMP connectivity test fails. Demand Poll says SNMP timed out for an
interface. At one point the Test/SNMP Connectivity test reported OK to an
SNMP Get. A subsequent Demand Poll created a "System Name Changed" event to
appear in the Event Viewer. From that point on the SNMP Connectivity test
failed.

I have verified the read community string. I have deleted the object at
least a dozen times and recreated it. I have each interface, the host name
and the fqdn in the SNMP Configuration screen.

I'm going to run a cleanup on the database as soon as I can. When I display
object information, I notice there are dozens of numbers listed under the
default IP Symbol list.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ray Westphal