AW: off topic: managing networks in a switched environment

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: AW: off topic: managing networks in a switched environment
From: FITZINGER Richard <richard.fitzinger@it-austria.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 11:34:33 +0200
hi!
I don't think that this is off topic because we should await solutions or
even ideas from the platform vendors, too.

We have a large heterogeneous network (Cisco, Nortel, Cabletron) and we have
made the experience that:
- Router management (including fault isolation, topology map, connections to
systems management) is done well by Netview
- fault isolation, topology view and "user tracking" (matching user IP+MAC
to switch port) is not covered by Netview. Mainly because you have to use
private MIB to get e.g. Frame Relay or ATM information.
- the above functions are covered by proprietary toolsets like
Ciscoworks2000, Nortel Optivity NMS, etc... But all of the above is strictly
limited to the vendor's own boxes...
- There are a couple of software vendors offering solutions for our problems
right now. Some of them integrate very tightly in platforms. You could check
out e.g. the products from Riversoft, Tavve or Smarts. Sure it will cost you
a lot of money to get that stuff up and running but I think you can await an
acceptable ROI.

Currently we are testing Riversofts NMOS in a complex LAN environment.
Integration in our Network and System Management solution with Netview/Unix
as the network management "focal point" is a major demand. I may post the
results of the test if the community finds it interesting.

regards,
richard