ACK_EV traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: ACK_EV traps
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:50:01 +0100
I am a little puzzled by the mechanism of the ACK_EV and UNACK_EV
events.
We have global acknowledge configured.  If you ACK a node, you can see
an event at the end of trapd.log - it always come from the NetView
system, whichever node has been ACKed - I guess I can cope with this as
it is NetView that is taking an action and is notifying us.

Stranger, is that that the ACK event is NOT (by default) customised into
trapd.conf, yet we don't get a "Trap found in unknown format" event.
You can customise the event into trapd.conf if you want - then you see 2
in trapd.log and 2 in the event workspace (both the same trap; one with
the netview hostname and one with a blank hostname).

Stranger still, whether you customise the ACK / UNACK events in
trapd.conf or not, if you tail trapd.log, ACK and UNACK events are
always 1 behind ie. send an ACK, see nothing in trapd.log, send an
UNACK, you see the first ACK, send a second UNACK & you see the first
UNACK, - and so on.  Yet, if you have customised them into trapd.conf,
they appear immediately in an event workspace.

Is this working as designed??  If so, please could anyone elucidate on
the design?

Many thanks,
Jane

--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565