Netview 6.0.2 Unix vs NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Netview 6.0.2 Unix vs NT
From: Jorge Jiles <Jorge.Jiles@ualberta.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:32:52 -0600
Netview 5 on AIX 4.2.1  RS/6000 43P -240
30.000 + objects on the Database.

We need to upgrade our version of Netview to the latest 6.0.2 In order to
run the new Netview version we need to upgrade our existing hardware, as it
would not be adequate to perform at a production level. We would like to
upgrade our RS/6000 server, upgrade AIX to the latest levels, and also
Netview to version 6.0.2.

Since we need to invest on hardware, the question asked was weather we
should continue to run Netview on Unix, or we should move to a less
expensive Windows environment.

The biggest headache would be to move all the customization we have
developed over the years from Unix to a Windows NT setting. Lots of Perl,
shell (awk, sed) , C, Expect, X , etc scripts.

But what about the application it self, is there much different in
functionality between Unix and Windows?
Is the Windows version going to be supported also under Windows 2000?
Would I be able to move my native Unix db's to the Windows version?
Have any body made the switch? And how painful was? And was it worth it?
Any thing I should know before making a decision?

Thanks for any info.

Jorge A Jiles
Network Analyst
Computing & Network Services