SNMP V3 (was digest header)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: SNMP V3 (was digest header)
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:27:53 -0400
Take a look at the archives of this listserver - it has been discussed a
bit,
and there is a thread going on now. Currently Netview can do a number of
things
with SNMP V2, but you have to specify that you are dealing with V2. It may
be
that your engineers are referring to data collection and thresholding. The
dialog
to configure this only lets you pick variables from its loaded V1 mib tree.
But
the configuration file that this dialog generates can (and very often is,
even for
V1) created by other means eg your favorite editor.

You would still be limited to datatypes defined in V1, (I THINK).  I have
been
wondering lately what would happen if I needed to poll something that was
Counter64, for instance. Would it give an error, or would it poll data and
interpret it
incorrectly? I suspect that it would erroneously detect a 'wrap' very very
frequently.
The next version will be addressing this, at any rate, as the requirement
is very
well known, and enough hardware vendors are now starting to implement
the newer versions that it is becoming worthwhile to do so.

Detroit

"Michael Spencer" <mspencer@neo.rr.com>@tkg.com on 06/12/2001 07:59:28 PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com