Re: Node Down immediately followed by Node Up

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Node Down immediately followed by Node Up
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 08:20:01 -0400
When you see rapid status changes, it is usually caused by the
Router Fault Isolation processing of netmon. When RFI finds something
is down, it changes netmon's planned polling sequence to investigate the
area to determine the extent of the outage. I think this rapid change in
status
can happen in cases when all routes to a subnet are not included on your
map.
For instance, you might not have snmp access to one or more routers on that
subnet, so Netview does not know that it has a way to get to the subnet,
yet
when it pings things there, it gets through. Very confusing for netmon. You
should
either complete the map, or disable RFI. That's what I think is probably
going
on. Others may have other ideas.

Detroit

Bernard Disselborg <bdisselb@triple-p.nl>@tkg.com on 06/28/2001 01:21:12 PM