netmon sends mask request

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: netmon sends mask request
From: "Geoffrey Cheng/Markham/IBM" <gcheng@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 16:38:46 -0400
My NetView is configured to monitor ip resources in several networks
isolated  by firewall. Only
snmpget/set and trap are allowed going through the firewall. I configured
MLMs on the other side of
the firewall to perform status polling for configured interfaces (defined
in MLM domain
smartsets) for NetView. The status information is propagated correctly.

According to manual, if  I move interfaces into domain smartset for the
running MLM, netmon should
withdraw  status polling of those interfaces and deligate the job to MLM.
While the status polling job
did deligate to MLM in my case, however, by monitoring the firewall log, I
found out that netmon is still
doing the pings.(of cause all being dropped by firewall). And in netmon
trace, it seems that netmon
is doing "sending mask request to <interface_ip_address>" quite frequently.
The communiation between
NetView and MLM is fine all the time.

I disabled the discovery and configuration polling globally, but netmon is
still doing the pings...

Any idea? I am on NetView for Solaris 6.0.2.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Geoffrey Cheng