Re: duplicate digital-link trap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: duplicate digital-link trap
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:22:53 -0400
I suspect that you are confused because the trap is partly defined, and
partly not.
Look in trapd.conf to determine the oid of "digital-link".  That's the
enterprise id.  You have that enteroises defined but not the specific trap.
You don't really need to translate things like
unitEventEntry.unitEventOriginPortNum into their OIDs unless you simply
want to.
trapd doesn't care what OID's the variables use as long as they look good,
as the following script will show.
You can use the MIB Browser to browse what MIBs you have loaded for this
device -- that's where trapd learned to translate what was in the trap to
an entry like unitEventEntry.unitEventOriginPortNum.

Actually even the ruleset would be easier to define if you define the trap
in trapd.conf FIRST.
You need to add specific trap 35 under the digital-link enterprise.
Here's the snmptrap script

#!/bin/ksh
# ndwn.trap.sh
#
# sample shell script to send a replica Node down trap
#
# we are not setting the port (it defaults to 162 udp)
# the community name will default to public  but it doesn't matter
# as trapd doesn't care what one you use but
# you can configure the Log message to show $C and see what it is.
# the first hostname is the trapd destination -- your box
# the second hostname is the agent sending the trap -- it cannot  be bogus
#
#
/usr/OV/bin/snmptrap   \
  `hostname`  <digital-link OID starting with .1.3.6.1.4.1>  \
  <your.digital.box>  6 35  1 \
.1.1.0  Integer 1  \
.1.2.0  Integer 3  \
.1.3.0  Integer 35  \