RE: Netview events up/down

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Netview events up/down
From: "Scott Barr" <scott_barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:59:46 -0500
I would guess you have a real network issue every 21 minutes. As Leslie
would say, if NetView is doing something goofy your network is probably
doing something goofy. Some questions I might ask:

Can you see a flood of traps just prior to the time the node downs start?
Maybe a single trap

Do you have RFI turned on and based on your servers location in the network
and where the managed nodes are, could you be seeing your local router go
unreachable? (If RFI is turned off, you would get a flood of node down
traps) (OOPS, version 5.1 netview no RFI - my bad)

Do you have a CPU intensive operation (like SNMP collect) that occurs on a
20 minute interval? Could you be pegging your network interface or your CPU
to the point where pings begin to fail?

Is there another device in the network monopolizing the bandwidth between
you and the nodes that are failing? (Is there a serial link between your box
and the end locations?)

Could you have typo'd the status poll time and made it tenths of seconds
rather than full seconds (like waiting .1 seconds instead of 1 second for
ping responses)

Does pinging the device immediately after you see it turn red, turn it back
to green?

Are you using a ruleset that catches node ups and downs and maybe a pass or
reset on match is hanging up events and letting them roll out all at once?
(Is there anything dependant on 20 minute timers in your rulesets?)

Sorry if these don't sound like a lot of help - but this sure sounds like
there is a real problem in your network.