Re: Top 10 LAN users and protocol wise usage of netwotk

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Top 10 LAN users and protocol wise usage of netwotk
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:00:03 -0400
I think Netview can help you with this, but there is nothing built-in
that will hand it to you. Netview can collect and display information,
but the agents in the devices on your network must be able to
deliver that information.

For top-10 LAN users, you should be looking at RMON information.
Probably some of the switches have built-in RMON probes, or
perhaps you have standalone probes in the network. Those probes
may have their own interface software. You can also use the Netview
MIB Browser to examine those devices to see if they support the
rmon mib. It is under mgmt, mib ii, then rmon. RMON is a defined
standard for that sort of information, and devices collect it on a
per-lan basis, storing it and making it available via SNMP. So
use the mib browser to see if that information is available first.

Can anyone else direct Anupam to some useful mibs for the
Cisco and 3Com devices for looking at protocol distribution?
Once you identify some interesting MIB variables, you can
monitor them in a number of ways using Netview functions like
the MIB Application Builder, Data Collection & Thresholding,
etc.  You won't get a fancy pie-chart out of it, but you can
probably get something useful.

An RMON application would probably help you there, as well. In the
case of the Cisco's, I would look to CiscoWorks for the best tool to
interact with their built-in probes.

Detroit

                    anand anupam

                    <ananda@bharatpetr       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    oleum.com>               cc:

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     [NV-L] Top 10 LAN
users and
                    owner-nv-l@tkg.com        protocol wise usage of netwotk

                    08/18/01 02:03 AM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Hi Everybody,

     I have NetView 6.0.1 on AIX 4.3.3.

     I have to configure my TNV such that it should give top 10 LAN users
     as well as protocol wise usage of network. Our network is having cisco
     switches (1900 series) as well as 3com switches   ( 3100 series ).

     Please suggest me how I should configure my TNV?

     Regards,

     Anupam K Anand