RE: Ruleset via SmartSet

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Ruleset via SmartSet
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:24:12 -0400
Brian,
That's not a stupid question! It is one that I'm sure many of us have asked
at one time or another.
You must match the Selection Name of the object in the smart set with
something in the Event Stream.
That something is the 2nd variable binding sent with the trap for the case
of
Interface Up/Down and Node Up/Down. Therefore, use Object ID Source of 2.
If you are processing other traps you will need to verify what is being sent
by the agent.
This is documented only in the comments of the trap configuration.
Private enterprise traps are not documented at all.

Open Options-->Event Configuration-->Trap Customization and look at
NetView6000's
Interface Down Trap (58916867). You will see in the description that the 2nd
variable is the Node Name.
That is what you want to match in your SmartSet.
To actually see what is sent for this or any trap place a $* in the Pop-up
window option.
This will cause a pop-up window with each varbind numbered and on a separate
line.

Don Davis