Re: SNMP Polling Customization

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: SNMP Polling Customization
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 07 Sep 2001 09:43:00 -0500
"Scott Hammons" <s.hammons@ais-nms.com> writes:
> Hello all,
>
> A quick question for configuring SNMP polling.  Assuming you have an
> SNMP Agent and a correct MIB file, can you customize SNMP polling
> for additional SNMP variables other than ifAdminStatus and
> ifOperStatus?  I know you can poll for configuration changes and
> perform data collections, but I'm interested in what it would take
> to periodically poll an SNMP device for customized variables not
> only the defaults.  Thanks in advance for any input.

The Data Collections and Thresholds tool (snmpCollect) sounds like
what you want.  We use it regularly to poll private mib variables like
cpu and memory utlization.

To configure it via a the GUI requires that you have SMIv1 MIB files
loaded in NetView (Load MIBs > SNMP) ...but so long as the agent
responds to snmpv1 requests (which you can test using the command
/usr/OV/bin/snmpget), you can hack snmpCol.conf to get to the
variables you need, even if you only have SMIv2 MIB files.