Re: Netview internal traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview internal traps
From: Robin James <robin.james@thalesatm.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:04:38 +0100
Excuse my ignorance...

/etc/services contains an entry like "snmp-trap       162/udp" and
"nvtrapd-trap    162/udp". This specifies how the trap is sent and says
to use port 162 with protocol UDP. Is port 162 the UNIX domain socket?

When a Netview internal trap is generated how is the destination
determined?

Does the trap community specification in /etc/snmpd.conf determine this
or does something else do it?

Does it matter if /etc/snmpd.conf does not contain a trap community
specification?

We have written a process which also generates traps. The process uses
OVsnmpSend to send the trap PDU. Is the trap destination determined in
the same way as a Netview internal trap?

Ultimately, I am trying to determine whether the traps we generate are
going to use the same mechanism as the Netview internal traps. We are
using the Netview SNMP API but is there anything we must do to ensure
our traps do not go over the network when we are using them for our own
internal purpose?

--
Robin
email: robin.james@thalesatm.com