Re: snmpd & mgragentd

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmpd & mgragentd
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:47:32 -0400
It should not be necessary to change the snmp configuration
for the management station due to changes in Options...SNMP.
The entries in Options..SNMP (aka ovsnmpd aka xnmsnmpconf)
are for outbound requests. The entries in /etc/snmp/conf are for
inbound requests. Now, Netview does talk to itself, so if your
default in Options...SNMP is not the same as what you have in
/etc/snmp/conf, then you will want to add an entry in Options...SNMP
to match what the OS requires. But you don't have to tell the OS
about what communties you will be using to talk to the network
devices.

If I have misunderstood your question, ask again. The concensus
on Solaris seems to be don't mess with the communities in the OS,
SNMP is shakey enough as it is.

Detroit

                    Costas

                    Vergakis             To:     nv-l@tkg.com

                    <vergakis@yaho       cc:

                    o.com>               Subject:     [NV-L] snmpd & mgragentd

                    Sent by:

                    owner-nv-l@tkg

                    .com

                    09/19/01 10:08

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

 Hi list,

 I know that this is more snmp than NetView issue,
 but I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

 I have allready configured NetView through
 Options -> SNMP Configuration...
 in order to have community strings different
 than the default.
 I need some guigelines on how to modify the
 appropriate files in /etc/snmp/conf in order to
 update
 snmpd & mgragentd with the new community strings.
 (acl files and maybe others?)

 NetView 6.0.1 on Solaris 2.6
 SEA 1.0.2

 TIA