Re: Automatic Map Generation and location.conf

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Automatic Map Generation and location.conf
From: "Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@banksa.com.au>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 14:10:07 +0930
That sounds suspiciously like a hint to me!

>>> lclark@us.ibm.com 03/10/2001 22:15:15 >>>
Not in V6.

Detroit

                    "Scott

                    Hammons"             To:     "IBM NetView Discussion"
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    <s.hammons@ais       cc:

                    -nms.com>            Subject:     [NV-L] Automatic Map
Generation and
                    Sent by:              location.conf

                    owner-nv-l@tkg

                    .com

                    10/02/01 01:23

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Hello all,

I would like to get some clarification on how the map generation and
location.conf file work together.  We have configured the NetView maps
according to customer requirements.  We have used both the location.conf
file and cut and paste to move routers and segments to the appropriate
submaps.  When automatic map generation is started, the routers return to
the IP top level map (segments remain in the appropriate submaps).

My understanding is this is how NetView works.  By the comments in the
location.conf header, networks are placed within the location symbols.
This
would explain why just routers are showing up in the IP map.  NetView
"assumes" this is the container where the routers belong.  Other than
turning off the automatic map layout for the top level map, is there a way
to customize NetView so on occasion when the automatic map generation is
started the routers will be in the proper submaps and not show on the top
level IP map?

Thanks,

Scott Hammons, Consultant
Tivoli Certified Consultant
Advanced Integrated Solutions, Inc.
www.ais-nms.com
Email s.hammons@ais-nms.com
Cellular (210) 378-8229

   *****   IMPORTANT INFORMATION    *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom
it is addressed and its content is not intended for use by
any other persons. If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately. Please also destroy and
delete the message from your computer. Any unauthorised form
of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited.
Bank SA is not liable for the proper and complete transmission
of the information contained in this communication, nor for any