Re: Actionsvr daemon not getting started

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Actionsvr daemon not getting started
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:35:38 -0400
First, do a "ps -ef  | grep actionsvr" and kill with -9 any you find
running.
My guess is that you have an old one that is no longer under control of
ovspmd and thus is not responding to ovstart/ovstop.
You will find this recommendation in the NetView diagnosis guide.

If that does not do it, then go to /usr/OV/log/nvaction.alog and look at
what is written there.  There may be error messages there to tell you what
is wrong.

If the console is not coming up then you are trying to start it as root.
When you are root, the netview script will try to start all the daemons
which are not up.
Use a different id and it will just give an error message and continue.
Since actionsvr is only used to process actions from rulesets, and to load
the background ones from ESE.automation, it does not have to be running
for the console to be active.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software
IBM Software Group
Please note that my new id is jshanks@us.ibm.com

Santosh R Karekar/India/IBM@IBMIN
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
10/11/2001 10:05 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion