failing SNMP status polls

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: failing SNMP status polls
From: "Joseph R Smith" <jrsmith@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:32:08 -0400
"Barr, Scot" wrote:

> Our problems with NETMON included failing SNMP status polls (they were
being
> sent to the wrong interface), AUTHENTICATION FAILURES (NETMON sending out
> wrong community strings) and CORES (due to discovery of "goofy" devices.
> But, I can safely say, WE ARE FIXED!

I would like to know how you resolved the failing SNMP status poll issue. I
am monitoring a hosting environment in which most servers have more than
one address, but the NetView server only has routes and (filter) permission
to specific interfaces. I am using SNMP status polling and I am not using
DNS for name resolution. Instead, I place a single hostname entry for the
accessible address in /etc/hosts. NetView discovers and polls most hosts
correctly. Occasionally, and only for certain servers, NetView starts using
one of the unreachable addresses for SNMP status polling. If I recycle
netmon, NetView starts using the correct address again. I have been unable
to determine the circumstances under which the change takes place.

Joseph R. Smith - CCDA, CCNA, MCP, MCSE
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant - V3.6
I/T Architect - Systems Integration - Consulting
IBM Global Services - SDC Northeast
1630 Long Pond Road, Rochester, NY 14626
Phone 716 723 4957 Tie Line 451 4957