RE: Interface name/ip status Changing?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Interface name/ip status Changing?
From: "Tremblay, David A." <dtremblay@jhancock.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:55:57 -0400
We experienced something similar a few months back,  it was related to a few
of our boxes (SUN) on our network that were setup in a cluster for failover
purposes.    Each box contained a NICs configured with a duplicate IP
address in case one box went down the other interface could be brought
administratively up to take its place.   NetView would discover the first
NIC on box A , add the interface then later on, box B would be polled, the
interface was deleted from box A  and then added to box B.

SOLUTION:

We had to find out what boxes had the same IP in these failover
configurations and then place both of the boxes in the seedfile with % in
front of them.   This let NetView know of the duplicate IP addresses on
these cards and took care of the problem.   Usually,  the % is used for HSRP
on routers but also works servers for this type of condition.

NOTE:   We are running NetView 6.0.2 on Solaris and even had to get a efix
that included a replacement netmon which fixed the problem.

I hope this helps.

Dave

David A. Tremblay
John Hancock Financial Services