Re: Event log and history

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Event log and history
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:17:28 -0400
Well, you cannot get events that are too old in an event window, current or
history, so events from last week are out of the question.  The only
permanent repository in NetView is trapd.log.  If you want old, events, you
will have to start saving that.

The event window shows current events, up the maximum amount specified in
the Nvevents app-defaults file, since nvserverd was last started.  There is
no priming from the ovevent.log and has not been since Version 3.
Events History shows events logged into ovevent.log.  They went from trapd
to ovesmd and from there to ovelmd, who logged them there.  But the maximum
size of the ovevent.log is 2 MB.  Once it reaches that size, old events are
replaced by newer ones.  The more events you receive, the quicker this
happens.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software
IBM Software Group
Please note that my new id is jshanks@us.ibm.com

                    Mans

                    Langert/Sweden       To:     nv-l@tkg.com

                    /IBM@IBMSE           cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     [NV-L] Event log and
history
                    owner-nv-l@tkg

                    .com

                    10/23/01 04:11

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Hi,

I've been trying to find out how the Event log works and how to display
event history. In the Admin guide I read " ..... Monitor-Events-Event
History    ...... displays events from /usr/OV/log/ovevent.log wich
contains events from the current NetView session". But when I read about
the current events it says " The Event Display application starts
automatically when the Tivoli NetView program starts. It displays all
events recieved during the current Tivoli NetView session......". Isn't
this exactly the same thing? What is the difference between the two? They
both display events recieved during the current NetView session, eg
events that has come since I started the gui?
If I exit and restart the NetView gui 13:42 I get events starting from
13:28 in the Event log that starts with the gui. Is this really events
recieved during the current session?
Then I do Monitor-Events-Event History and get events starting from
12:57. This is only 1/2 hour of "history" compared to the current
events. Say I want events from this morning, yesterday or even last
week?
I got about 70 events/hour with no filtering during this test in the
Event History, and I had the default setting 128K for the ovelmd daemon.
Could someone explain this to me?
NetView 6.0.2/AIX 4.3.3.

Hälsningar/Regards
Måns Langert