RE: ovwdb filling up with objects

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: ovwdb filling up with objects
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:39:01 -0600
We had a problem like this due to a device that NETMON was having trouble
during discovery. You said discovery isn't on, but if you are using a seed
file, then discovery is always running for things in your seed file.

The problem was a device on the network that had 4 async (re:ppp)
interfaces. When NETVIEW successfully queries the device, it defines a range
of addresses to perform discovery. In our case, the address was 1.0.0.0 with
a mask of 255.255.255.0 (or similar, can't remember exactly). As a result,
many, many, many objects were added to the object database with a selection
name of "004325" or similar. I had to obtain an e-fix for this problem.
Basically netmon is creating "hints" for the objects he's going to discover
(but can't). When my object count got too high, OVw went nuts, smartsets
wouldn't keep current etc. Maybe this is your problem. I went back and could
not find the PMR number but it might be 66843.