Re: Event Configuration

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Event Configuration
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 08:03:39 -0500
You don't want to replace your V6 trapd.conf with V5, though that would
work, because there are new traps in V6.
You want to do a merge.  Copy /usr/OV/conf/C/trapd.conf to the new box with
a new name, such as "trapd.conf.V5".
Then run "/usr/OV/bin/nvaddtrapdconf trapd.conf.V5" and it will merge the
two.  Make a backup copy of your V6 trapd.conf first, in case you don't
like what you get, but it should work fine.  Every trap in the V5 file
which matches one in the V6, will replace it, preserving your
customizations, and all the additional ones there will be added to the V6
file as well.

But you may want to install either 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 first and do this
nvaddtrapdconf merge procedure using the trapd.conf which is installed in
/usr/OV/newconfig/OVSNMP-RUN/trapd.conf.  Those maintenance releases add
about a 100 new traps, mainly for Cisco devices, to trapd.conf but
automatic merges only take place when you do a migration, not when you
install a patch.  So the new traps definitions are there but there are not
installed.  So you may want to merge them with the default trapd.conf in
V6, and then merge in your customizations to get the best of all.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

                    bducharme@avdl

                    .com                 To:     nv-l@tkg.com

                    Sent by:             cc:

                    owner-nv-l@tkg       Subject:     [NV-L] Event
Configuration
                    .com

                    11/01/01 06:25

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Hi,

     We have NetView 5 installed on a Unix server.
We have installed Netview 6 installed on another Unix server.
We have many customisation of our Trap.
Is there a way to export our trap customisation ?
Or are they in a file that we can copy to the other server ?

Thanks.

Benoit Ducharme
Outils de gestion, Réalisation Technologique

Assurance vie Desjardins-Laurentienne
200 rue des Commandeurs
Lévis (Québec)
G6V 6R2