Re: No interfaces discovered for router

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: No interfaces discovered for router
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 23:59:00 -0500
First, put the maintenance on. It is 6.0.2.
If you have discovery turned off, you might try turning it on.
For netview to draw an unnumbered interface, it must find the
other end of the connection. So make sure both ends are in your
seedfile, and make sure you have snmp access to them. The
'network' drawn for serials, whether numbered or not, will
probably be straight lines, rather than bubbles. That's why
you need both ends. If the loopbacks are identifiable as
loopbacks, networks for them should not be drawn at
current maintenance levels.  And if you make the modification
to /usr/OV/conf/C/if_to_sym to display Frame networks with
little clouds on them (the sample is in the file), don't forget to
also make the change to the network definition as described
in those comments, or nothing will work right at all.

I've seen this work well at many customer sites, so pick at
it a bit and you will get it.

Detroit

                    donald.turrentine@a

                    msouth.com                To:     nv-l@tkg.com

                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    owner-nv-l@tkg.com        Subject:     [NV-L] No interfaces
discovered
                                               for router

                    11/06/01 05:15 PM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

I provided a simple seedfile for NV 6.0 (on AIX) to discover a few nodes so
that I could study what NV does with unnumbered IP serial interfaces and
redundant PVCs in a Frame cloud.  Basically I have three routers (cisco) ,
one (a branch router) connects back to the other two via Frame.  OSPF is
running using a bandwidth statement (8K and 32K CIRs) to determine the
preferred route.  All routers also have loopback addresses configured with
255.255.255.255 netmasks.  I am using these IPs in the seedfile for
discovery.  I have the -u option set on netmon as well as support for
secondary addresses.  All connections are drawn properly.  However when I
drill down on the branch router and one of the core routers (both are
depicted as blue in color) there are no interfaces.  I can do a I demand
poll and it shows all the interfaces but it also shows that no IP addresses
are configured for any of the interfaces.  If I do an Edit --> Description
it shows that the routers do indeed have IP addresses configured on
ethernet interfaces in addition to the loopback address.  My ulitmate goal
is to be able to tell when and if the PVCs go down as well as the numbered
interfaces on the router.  One other thing, all of the routers show up as
unmanaged in the map after discovery.  Subnets hanging off the routers are
managed.  Also for each loopback address a network is defined, I would like
to get rid of this and just have the device and any real networks.  Any
info would be appreciated.

Don Turrentine
AmSouth Bank
(205) 581-4765