RE: Anyone have script to poll routers and return list of IP enabled int

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Anyone have script to poll routers and return list of IP enabled interaces ...
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:20:40 -0500
"Has anyone out there
written a script that will read a file (say netmon.seed) and poll each IP
listed and return a list of configured/enabled/up interfaces along with
their IP, network number, and mask?"

I have written a lengthy script to do this (it is for baselining and
trending, but it would work in this situation, albeit overkill).  The bad
news is I do not think it would be a good idea to send the whole thing out.
I can lead you in the right direction if the information above is what you
re looking for.

First:  Get a copy of RFC1213.  This contains the majority of the MIB info
you will need.  The best part of this is it -should- be the same across all
vendors.

Second:  Start interrogating your routers with snmpget and snmpwalks.  The
toughest part for me was finding a way to dynamically understand the number
of interfaces per router/switch (see limitation below).  Once you understand
the indexing scheme (starting at 1 and depending on the mib, they may or may
not list all of the interfaces, ie 1,2,3,4,5,6...n (totaling n num of
interfaces) vs 1,2,5,9,10,11,22 (totaling n - definedInterfaces).  After
doing a few walks you will see what I mean.

Finally:  Gathering, sorting and outputting.  This is all up to you, I did
space delimited and in a columnar layout for importing into Excel and
graphing, ie for my baselinining and trending.

--Limitation of my current script is the logic behind learning serial
interfaces, tbd.

--Note:  It is not easy to determine which interfaces are currently up and
down.  You need to look at Admin and Oper status to make a determination.

All in all, I have prolly given you too much for your solution.  I am sure
though I have given you enough information to get started.

Best of luck,
Jason Allison