Re: SNMP Polling

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: SNMP Polling
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:32:34 -0500
What kind of objects are you trying to add with loadhosts?  You have
routers beyond your firewall that you are trying to represent in NetView?

The purpose of loadhosts is to add nodes, and interfaces to nodes,  to the
database and the map, and normal nodes have Symbol Status Source = Symbol,
so that is what it is going to use.  If you look at a normal node on this
side f your firewall, you will see this to be true.  netmon sets the
status on the node and the interfaces below it.  They are never created
with Symbol Status Source = Compound Propagated.  Drill down in a normal
segment and see.  So loadhosts is working correctly and as designed.

What you are doing is a bit beyond what was intended for SNMP  polling, as
I understand it.  It was never intended as a means to extend NetView
beyond a firewall, but  only as a means to monitor interfaces on a router
which could not be monitored by ping, like unnumbered serial, admin down,
HSRP, and ISDN.   It was not intended for discovery to proceed this way,
else you would not have to use loadhosts to add those nodes.  My guess,
and it is only a guess, is that the several polling cycles are necessary
because netmon has to re-adjust the topology before he gets things right.
If these are routers, the normally, you would not see an interface on the
map before netmon can find the other end.  Since you  put it  there, it
may take him awhile to figure things out.  In the normal course of events,
when netmon discovers that something is a router, he changes the flags on
it (you should see a trap to that effect in the window or trapd.log) and
when ipmap gets that trap he deletes the object and re-adds it with the
right source and puts it on the IP Internet map.  Until it shows up there,
it will never have a status source of compound propagated.  By default,
networks and segments have that source, not nodes.

I don't know any workarounds, but I think it is entirely reasonable to say
that if you are adding a router, you may very well have to change the
status source yourself.

Of course, this is all reasonable speculation, based on what I do know
extended to what I don't.  I don't do netmon for a living.  If you want to
see what is really going on, you'll  need to run a full netmon trace when
you work with these things, and if you want help interpreting that, then
you'll need to call Support.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Kenney, John" <jkenney@JHANCOCK.COM>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
12/17/2001 02:32 PM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion