[nv-l] Marginal Status

To: "NV List (E-mail)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Marginal Status
From: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:02:42 -0600
Hello Everyone.

NetView 6.0.3 on AIX 4.3.3 ML 9

I'm having a problem with frame relay routers showing marginal status even
though all interfaces are up and active. In every case the frame relay
circuit did fail but after the repair the router's status remains marginal.
A demand poll of the router works just fine; there are no timeouts indicated
and NetView can ping all of the interfaces.

Not all of the router's interfaces are in the DNS. The loopback address does
resolve and is the same as the router's hostname. However, the SNMP
configuration was correct; all of the router's IP addresses and the router's
hostname are in the SNMP database. snmpwalks of all the interfaces and the
router hostname work without specifying the RO community name.

I have tried adding all the interfaces to my server's /etc/host file so that
all IP addresses are resolved but the status remains marginal. I can correct
the status by deleting the router object and allowing NV to rediscover.

Do you think the status problem is a result of the DNS issues?

Thanks in advance.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car