Re: [nv-l] SNMP Collect

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP Collect
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:35:57 -0500
Your question is a little confusing, Mike, so ask again if I have
misunderstood.

Most of the information available from the router is interface info. There
are a
few things that apply only once on a router, like cpu and buffer
utilization, and
those all occur as instance 0. Data that occurs once per interface would be
presented with instance numbers that match the interface table.

When you configure Data Collection & Thresholding, do you see at the
bottom of the dialog the place where it says which instances to collect?
You can specify all, or a list, and some other choice, I forget what it is.
Anyway, 'instance' does not mean just 'interface'. It means the last
little bit on the oid for the mib variable, as seen in the output if the
MIB Browser. So router-wide variables have an instance of 0.

For interface variables,  you have to know the index numbers of the
interfaces
you want. You can see these in the MIB Browser. To make it easier, I always
update the MIB Application that gives you  'Monitor...MIB
Values...Interface Info'
to include the ifIndex variable, which is left off as an expercise for the
student,
I think.  (The index is shown in Monitor...Network
Configuration...Interfaces,
but that list often shows only physical interfaces, not the whole interface
table).

More than you wanted to know? You will want to know later....

Detroit

                    "Good,

                    Michael"             To:     nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                    <michael.good@       cc:

                    pec.com>             Subject:     [nv-l] SNMP Collect

                    02/26/02 09:08

                    AM

I am running Netview 6.0.x on Solaris.  My question is - I currently
collect my SNMP information from Netview and store it in an Oracle DB, is
there a way for me to specify which intefaces I only want to collect on?
So that I'm not collecting on cards, etc.  Basically all I'm interested in
is Router info.

Thanks,
 Mike Good