Re: [nv-l] nv-l Digest 13 May 2002 22:38:51 -0000 Issue 70

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] nv-l Digest 13 May 2002 22:38:51 -0000 Issue 70
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 16:59:13 -0400
What version, what platform, how many objects? Seedfile with
oids in it? Are you having other performance problems with the box?
Is you ovwdb cache size set high enough for the number of objects?

I guess you have to assume that netmon really is that far behind, and it is
not just this router. That can be caused by slow name resolution, among
other things, so some tuning is in order. Try using this tool to check and
see how many nodes it is behind (if you are on unix).

#!/bin/ksh
#set -x
cat /dev/null > /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace
netmon -a 12
sleep 6
if [ -f /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace ]; then
  echo "Netmon is " `grep [-].*[:] /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace | wc -l `
"behind in status pinging";
else
  echo "Netmon is too busy to report now. Try later."
fi
exit

See the man page for netmon for the various -a options.
It is not unusual for it to report that it is a thousand or so behind,
and then catch up quickly. If netmon has just started, it could be much
further behind.

I would turn on tracing in netmon at startup to see what it is doing.
Once you are familiar with what is in there and how far behind it
really is, if you don't figure it out, you should consider calling
Support.

Detroit

                      Peter_Chow@TD.COM

                                               To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      05/14/2002 03:56         cc:

                      PM                       Subject:  [nv-l] nv-l Digest 13
May 2002 22:38:51 -0000 Issue 70

Demand poll indicates that a ping is being used.
When I log on to the router and status the interface, it does indicate that
it is down.

The only thing peculiar about this setup is that there is a very large
amount of unmanaged devices.  Could this be causing the delay?

Regards, Peter.

----- Forwarded by Peter Chow/CA/TDBFG/TDGROUP on 05/14/02 03:51 PM -----