Re: [nv-l] Netview upgrade

To: Kevin Smith <c-kevin.smith1@wcom.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview upgrade
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:03:54 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Is everyone getting re-posts of notices that are a few days old?
Kevin, did you just repost this, or did the system do it by itself?

Detroit

                      Kevin Smith

                      <c-kevin.smith1@w        To:       Nv-L
<nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                      com.com>                 cc:

                                               Subject:  [nv-l] Netview upgrade

                      05/16/2002 11:28

                      AM

Netview 6.02, AIX 4.3.3, MLM (filtering).  The MLM passes generic 2,3 traps
to the Netview Servers.

I just upgraded from 6.01 to 6.02.  I am now receiving a flood of
unsolicited traps in the events window of the control desk.  The formats of
these traps display the source ip address in the hostname field of the
event
window.  I have all the routers on the network configured so the traps are
sourced to the loopback address of the node.  When a numbered
(IP-ADDRESSED)
interfaces incurs a fault a trap is generated and sent to the NMS
(netview).
These traps however have the numbered interfaces ip address rather than the
loopback address of the router as being the source. i.e. router loopback
10.10.10.10, s0/1 10.10.10.2 when serial interface 1 loses connectivity a
trap is sent with serial interface 1's ip address rather than the loopback
address of the router.  The Netview servers are configured to do DNS in the
following manner local,hosts,bind.  So when I receive any udp SNMP packet
from a node that has the loopback address in the source portion of the
packet Netview resolves that name and displays it in the event window.
When
Netview receives a udp SNMP packet from a node and the source address isnt
in local, bind, or DNS it displays the ip address of the source in the
events window.  How can I get the source portion of the SNMP packets that
are sent from Nodes to always be the resolveable ip-address of the loopback
and still accurately report that a particular interface at this node has a
problem.

Kevin Smith
System Administrator
410-965-0328