RE: [nv-l] xnmsnmpconf

To: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] xnmsnmpconf
From: "Ray Westphal" <westphal@accessus.net>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 21:26:44 -0500
Hello Brad,

NV 7.1.1 on AIX 4.3.3 w/ ML 10.

I have a similar situation - although it is not nearly as dramatic. If I add
certain IP address ranges to my netmon.seed file then SNMP polling wait list
would gradually increase.  In my case, an hour after the netmon.seed file
change, the wait list would be 3500+. I believe the cause is slow response
times to pings and SNMP queries because the sites are connected via
satellite. I was able to relieve the problem a little by adding the same
ranges to xnmsnmpconf with a slightly higher timeout (1.5) and more retries.
In other words, for those "slow" sites, I increased the timeout. I did not
increase it for all (the default).

Check the archives for snmpstatus.sh script that Leslie wrote. The script
provides an easy way to monitor the wait list. I bet you are having problems
before you change the SNMP Configuration.

Here are several more things that have aided netmon in my installation:
        how is your DNS? Does everything resolve? If not, add the RES_RETRY=1
and
RES_TIMEOUT=1 variables to /etc/environment
        check your netmon process. Is netmon starting with the -q 32 (ping queue
size) and -Q 32 (SNMP queue size) options?
        check for adapter problems with entstat -d enx (x=adapter number). Are
you
getting lots of "No Receive Buffers"?

I hope this helps.

Ray Westphal