Re: [nv-l] nmdemandpoll

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] nmdemandpoll
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:40:32 -0400
Remember all that stuff about Cisco routers and high cpu usage
for certain snmp requests? And the instructions for configuring the
routers to limit the amount of data returned (but not limiting it
so much that Netview cannot get what it needs?) Sounds like
that same old thing again. I think you need to turn on tracing
in the router to see what it is stuck on. I'll re-post that page
from Cisco...

Detroit

                      reamd@Nationwide.

                      com                      To:       Leslie
Clark/Southfield/IBM@IBMUS
                                               cc:       reamd@Nationwide.com

                      05/10/2002 09:58         Subject:  Re: [nv-l]
nmdemandpoll
                      AM

Thanks Leslie,
                          It appears that the process may be hanging
because nmdemandpoll continues using cpu until I kill it. It only does this
periodically. Last time I let it stay there for 30mins to see if it would
complete. How can I found out why it hangs?

                          "Leslie Clark"

                          <lclark@us.ibm.com>      To:
reamd@Nationwide.com

                                                   cc:

                                                   bcc:

Re: [nv-l] nmdemandpoll

                          05/10/2002 09:49 AM

What you are seeing is that even if you cancel out of a demandpoll,
the process is left to run to completion. You could go to a commandline
and find the process with 'ps' and kill it.

Detroit

                      reamd@Nationwide.

                      com                      To:
nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                                               cc:

                      05/10/2002 09:05         Subject:  [nv-l]
nmdemandpoll
                      AM

Hi All,
         When doing a demand poll I can see that nmdemandpoll gets priority
and is the top hitter on the servers cpu. As of late, even when the results
of the demand poll have completed, nmdemandpoll continues to use up the cpu
of the server.How can I check to see what it is doing and is there another
way to terminate it without recycling netmon?

AIX 4.3.3  6.0.3..

Thanks, Dave