[nv-l] acknowledged symbol colour

To: NetView Discussion <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] acknowledged symbol colour
From: Robin James <robin.james@thalesatm.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:23:10 +0100
We are using Netview 6.0.3 on Compaq TRU 64 UNIX.

We have produced a customised map for our system and use the API to
create submaps and symbols specific to our setup.

Symbol w116 is associated with an object and explodes into a submap
containing  2 symbols w1161 and w1162.

The symbols w1161 and w1162 are associated with 2 different objects.

w1161 explodes into another submap and contains several symbols, for
example a monitor symbol and a FDDI port symbol. All these symbols are
associated with the same object that is associated with their parent
submap's symbol w1161.

When w116 is selected and acknowledge is selected the symbol goes dark
green and all the symbols in the child submaps do not change colour. The
output from ovmapdump for the Object shows the Object Status and Object
Compound Status as Acknowledged. The Symbol Status for w116 is also
Acknowledged. When w116 is unacknowledged the colour of w116 reverts
immediately to a non-dark green colour.

When w1161 is selected and acknowledge is selected the symbol goes green
and all the symbols in the child submaps also go green. So w1161 doesn't
go dark green like w116 did. A difference is that all the symbols are
associated with the same object. The output from ovmapdump does not show
that any of the Object and Status are Acknowledged.

I am seeing that acknowledge behaves differently. Does anyone know why
acknowledge is behaving differently?

I am also confused by the documentation. Table 3 in the User's Guide for
Beginners says Acknowledged is Dark Green and Normal is Green. Section 3
in the Administrator's Guide says that Acknowledge sets the symbol to
Dark Green. But Table 8 in the Programmer's Guide associates Green with
Acknowledged.

--
Robin
email: robin.james@thalesatm.com